The Sustainable Development Goals are seventeen goals that was adopted and signed by the Heads of State and Government and High Representatives, meeting at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 25-27 September 2015.
Recognising that eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, is the greatest global challenge and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development, all countries and all stakeholders, acting in collaborative partnership, will implement this plan.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals and 169 targets which were announced demonstrate the scale and ambition of the new universal Agenda. They seek to build on the Millennium Development Goals and complete what these did not achieve. They seek to realize the human rights of all and to achieve gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. They are integrated and indivisible and balance the three dimensions of sustainable development: the economic, social and environmental.
The Goals and targets will stimulate action over the next fifteen years in areas of critical importance for humanity and the planet:
Ending poverty and hunger, in all their forms and dimensions, and ensuring that all human beings can fulfil their potential in dignity and equality and in a healthy environment.
Protecting the planet from degradation, including through sustainable consumption and production, sustainably managing its natural resources and taking urgent action on climate change, so that it can support the needs of the present and future generations.
Ensuring that all human beings can enjoy prosperous and fulfilling lives and that economic, social and technological progress occurs in harmony with nature.
Fostering peaceful, just and inclusive societies which are free from fear and violence. There can be no sustainable development without peace and no peace without sustainable development.
Mobilizing the means required to implement this Agenda through a revitalised Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, based on a spirit of strengthened global solidarity, focused in particular on the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable and with the participation of all countries, all stakeholders and all people.
Sustainable Development Goals
- GOAL 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- GOAL 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- GOAL 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- GOAL 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- GOAL 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- GOAL 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- GOAL 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- GOAL 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- GOAL 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- GOAL 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- GOAL 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- GOAL 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- GOAL 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- GOAL 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- GOAL 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- GOAL 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- GOAL 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
These targets form the basis of our focus. Through our continuous development and partnership with business, government and civil society, it is the foundation's aim to contribute towards the achievement of these goals.